2014 dxdy logo

Научный форум dxdy

Математика, Физика, Computer Science, Machine Learning, LaTeX, Механика и Техника, Химия,
Биология и Медицина, Экономика и Финансовая Математика, Гуманитарные науки

Правила форума

В этом разделе нельзя создавать новые темы.

Если Вы хотите задать новый вопрос, то не дописывайте его в существующую тему, а создайте новую в корневом разделе "Помогите решить/разобраться (М)".

Если Вы зададите новый вопрос в существующей теме, то в случае нарушения оформления или других правил форума Ваше сообщение и все ответы на него могут быть удалены без предупреждения.

Не ищите на этом форуме халяву, правила запрещают участникам публиковать готовые решения стандартных учебных задач. Автор вопроса обязан привести свои попытки решения и указать конкретные затруднения.

Обязательно просмотрите тему Правила данного раздела, иначе Ваша тема может быть удалена или перемещена в Карантин, а Вы так и не узнаете, почему.

Bolzano-Weierstrass (English)
Сообщение18.01.2012, 19:05 

01/12/06
рм
Here is a theorem:
Цитата:
Theorem Every bounded sequence of real numbers contains a convergent subsequence.

Here is another:
Цитата:
Theorem Every bounded, infinite set of real numbers has a cluster point.

I found two ways to prove the latter: by contradiction, and directly, by creating some sequence from the set and apply the first theorem. I prefer by contradiction. The direct method I do not understand and some reason follows.
My question is motivated by the second, direct way of proving the theorem about cluster point. Here is the question: Is the following a theorem? "Every bounded, infinite set of real numbers contains a convergent sequence."

Shortly speaking, I want to know how to apply the first theorem in proving the second one.

Re: Bolzano-Weierstrass (English)
Сообщение18.01.2012, 20:28 
Заслуженный участник

11/12/05
gefest_md в сообщении #528445 писал(а):
Shortly speaking, I want to know how to apply the first theorem in proving the second one.

If you have an infinite bounded subset of reals, then you can create a sequence. Which is inevitably bounded. Then use the first Theorem.

Сообщение19.01.2012, 01:01 

01/12/06
рм
I am pointing out that a prove by contradiction of theorem two convince me more than a proof of it which appeals to theorem one. But I think it is Ok as long as one can fill in the dots in the set $\{(n,x)\in\mathbb{N}\times A\mid\dots\}$.

Сообщение19.01.2012, 09:33 
Заслуженный участник

11/12/05
gefest_md в сообщении #528665 писал(а):
I am pointing out...

Sorry, I did not pay enough attention to the whole post. Only looked for the underlined text.
Anyway, regarding your last comment:
gefest_md в сообщении #528665 писал(а):
But I think it is Ok as long as one can fill in the dots in the set $\{(n,x)\in\mathbb{N}\times A\mid\dots\}$.

Will have to use the Axiom of Choice (AC)
According to AC we can select an element $(1,x_1)\in \mathbb N\times A$ - since both sets $\mathbb N, \ A$ are not empty.
Now, the set $\mathbb N \setminus \{1\} =\{2,3,4,5,6,...  \}$ is obviously nonempty, in fact it is still infinite. Similarly, the set $A\setminus \{x_1\}$ is infinite too.
That allows us for using axiom of choice (again), and we can choose $(2,x_2) \in \big(\mathbb N \setminus \{1\}\big) \times\big (A\setminus \{x_2\}\big)$ ... etc.
Thus we get a bounded sequence $\{x_n\}_{n=1}^\infty \subset A$.

So I guess the set you're looking for has to be written like this:
$$\{(n,x_n)\in\mathbb{N}\times A\mid  \ \forall \  m,n \in \mathbb N,\quad  m \ne n \Rightarrow x_m \ne x_n\}$$

Модераторы: Модераторы Математики, Супермодераторы