2014 dxdy logo

Научный форум dxdy

Математика, Физика, Computer Science, Machine Learning, LaTeX, Механика и Техника, Химия,
Биология и Медицина, Экономика и Финансовая Математика, Гуманитарные науки

Правила форума

Посмотреть правила форума

Understanding this definition of measure function.
Сообщение10.12.2023, 08:07 

28/07/23
NOTE: Though, I have provided the link which is related to my post (it is a PDF), but my post is also self-contained, and have all informations.

In this https://math.berkeley.edu/~brent/files/lebesgue_integral.pdf short explanation, example 1.8 defines the measure $\mu$ with respect to an increasing function $F$ as
$$
\mu_F (S) = \inf \{
\sum_{j=1}^{\infty} F(b_j) - F(a_j) : S \subset \bigcup_{j=1}^{\infty} (a_j, b_j] \}
$$
I'm unable to understand it properly.
Let's take $\mu_F \{ (a_j, b_j]\} = F(b_j) - F(a_j)$.
Consider a set $Y$ formed in this fashion,
$$
Y = (a_1, b_2] \cup (a_2, b_2] \cup (a_3, b_3] \cup \cdots 
$$
the measure of $Y$ with resepect to $F$ can be given by,
$$
\mu_F(Y) = \mu_F \{  (a_1, b_2]\} + \mu_F \{(a_2, b_2] \} + \mu_F \{ (a_3, b_3]\} \cdots 
$$

That is,
$$
\mu_F(Y) = \sum_{j=1}^{\infty}  F(b_j) - F(a_j) 
$$
But why when we take a subset S of $Y$, its measure bring an infimum before $\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}  F(b_j) - F(a_j) $? Can someone please explain me why taking any subset of $Y$ would bring upon an greatest lower bound on that set for its measure?

Thank you.

Re: Understanding this definition of measure function.
Сообщение10.12.2023, 09:26 
Заслуженный участник

11/12/05
Knight2023 в сообщении #1621709 писал(а):
Can someone please explain me why taking any subset of $Y$ would bring upon an greatest lower bound on that set for its measure?
The answer "by definition" does not suffice ?

Or can you elaborate your concern?

Сообщение10.12.2023, 09:44 

22/11/22
Проблема в том, что вы считаете $Y$ фиксированным. И тем самым, не понимаете определения.
Ваше понимание приведет к тому, что меры двух различных подмножеств множества $Y$ одинаковы.

Определение же говорит, что для того, чтобы найти меру $S$, нужно найти точную нижнюю грань сумм указанного вида, взятую по покрытиям множества $S$ всеми возможными счетными объединениями интервалов. Такое покрытие, понятно, не единственно.

Сообщение10.12.2023, 18:23 

28/07/23
Dan B-Yallay в сообщении #1621715 писал(а):
Can someone please explain me why taking any subset of $Y$ would bring upon an greatest lower bound on that set for its measure?
The answer "by definition" does not suffice ?

Or can you elaborate your concern?

The problem is: if that is the definition, what it actually means? Can I be presented with an example?

-- 10.12.2023, 20:57 --

Цитата:
Определение же говорит, что для того, чтобы найти меру $S$, нужно найти точную нижнюю грань сумм указанного вида, взятую по покрытиям множества $S$ всеми возможными счетными объединениями интервалов. Такое покрытие, понятно, не единственно.

I guess, I'm beginning to understand it. If we want to find the measure of $S$, we need to write it as the union of lowest possible number of disjoint sets, and then, the measure will simply be the addition of these sums?

I think that $\inf$ seems to be saying that $S$ needs to be written as the union of lowest possible number of disjoint sets.

Сообщение10.12.2023, 19:41 

18/05/15
Knight2023 в сообщении #1621776 писал(а):
I think that $\inf$ seems to be saying that $S$ needs to be written as the union of lowest possible number of disjoint sets.

Это не совсем так. Инфинум - значение, которое может и не достигаться, но всегда найдется покрытие, мера которого сколь угодно близка к нему.

Сообщение10.12.2023, 20:21 

28/07/23
ihq.pl в сообщении #1621788 писал(а):

Это не совсем так. Инфинум - значение, которое может и не достигаться, но всегда найдется покрытие, мера которого сколь угодно близка к нему.

Yes, what I wrote above was not rigorous.

I wanted to know, how can we make $\sum_i^{\infty} F(b_i) - F(a_i)$ vary? I mean, it seems reasonable to take infimum of Upper Darboux sum $U(f,P)$ because it varies with the partition $P$, and decreases monotonically as $P$ gets finer and finer. But taking infimum of $\{ \sum_i^{\infty} F(b_i) - F(a_i)\}$ doesn't make sense to me.

Сообщение10.12.2023, 21:08 

18/05/15
Knight2023 в сообщении #1621796 писал(а):
But taking infimum of $\{ \sum_i^{\infty} F(b_i) - F(a_i)\}$ doesn't make sense to me.

Вполне, по-моему, осмысленное определение. Может, проблема в том, что вы ищете наименьшее покрытие множества $S$ интервалами типа $(a,b]$? Но такого покрытия может и не существовать в том смысле, что каким бы ни было покрытие множества $S$, всегда найдется еще меньшее.

Сообщение10.12.2023, 21:09 
Заслуженный участник

11/12/05
Consider a set $Y$ formed in this fashion,
$$
Y = (a_1, b_2] \cup (a_2, b_2] \cup (a_3, b_3] \cup \cdots 
$$

Subset $S$ of $Y$ does not have to be some number of same whole intervals. $S$ could contain arbitrary parts of $(a_i, b_i]$

Сообщение11.12.2023, 03:06 

22/11/22
I guess, I'm beginning to understand it. If we want to find the measure of $S$, we need to write it as the union of lowest possible number of disjoint sets, and then, the measure will simply be the addition of these sums?

Попробуйте сделать это для $S=[a,b]$.

Сообщение11.12.2023, 18:57 

28/07/23
Combat Zone в сообщении #1621867 писал(а):

Попробуйте сделать это для $S=[a,b]$.

Considering $a < b$ and positive reals, a possible cover for $S$ could be $\{ (0,a/2], (a/2, b]\}$. Though, there will be a lot more.

-- 11.12.2023, 21:31 --

If we partition the interval $[a,b]$ into a sets points as: $a < x_1 < x_2 < \cdots < b$, then another possible cover for $S$ is
$$
\lbrace
[a,x_1],
[x_1, x_2],
[x_2, x_3],
\cdots
[x_{n-1}, b]
\rbrace
$$

Сообщение11.12.2023, 19:54 

22/11/22
Knight2023 в сообщении #1621992 писал(а):
Considering $a < b$ and positive reals, a possible cover for $S$ could be $\{ (0,a/2], (a/2, b]\}$.

И этому объединению соответствует сумма $F(b)-F(a/2)+F(a/2)-F(0)$. Кстати, не зависящая от $a$. Что странно, если бы это действительно была мера.
Though, there will be a lot more.

Вот именно, что есть и другие. Та сумма, которую мы посчитали выше - она точно самая маленькая?
$$\lbrace [a,x_1], [x_1, x_2], [x_2, x_3], \cdots [x_{n-1}, b] \rbrace$$

Вы забыли выбросить левые границы. Когда выбросите - этот набор не будет покрытием.

Сообщение11.12.2023, 21:34 

28/07/23
Combat Zone
Цитата:
Вот именно, что есть и другие. Та сумма, которую мы посчитали выше - она точно самая маленькая?

I really don't have a way to ascertain that, but as we have not seen the measure of other covers, we cannot conclude it is the smallest.

Сообщение12.12.2023, 04:08 

22/11/22
Knight2023
Это не беда, возьмите какое-то еще покрытие. Проверьте, а не будет ли сумма меньше.
И еще какое-то. И еще раз проверьте.

Вам нужно найти инфимум по всем покрытиям. А пока мы нашли только одно. Ясно, что инфимум может быть меньше.

Сообщение12.12.2023, 09:21 

18/05/15
Может, смущает бесконечная сумма. Определение с конечной суммой было бы понятнее и строже, нет?

Сообщение12.12.2023, 15:07 

28/07/23
Combat Zone в сообщении #1622063 писал(а):
Knight2023
Это не беда, возьмите какое-то еще покрытие. Проверьте, а не будет ли сумма меньше.
И еще какое-то. И еще раз проверьте.

Вам нужно найти инфимум по всем покрытиям. А пока мы нашли только одно. Ясно, что инфимум может быть меньше.

Considering the same partition that we had: $ a <x_1 < x_2 < \cdots b$, we can develop a cover like this one:
$$
\lbrace
(0,a], (a, x_1], (x_1, x_2], \cdots, (x_{n-1}, b] 
\rbrace
$$
And we can write the measure as:
$$
F(a) - F(0) + F(x_1) - F(a) + F(x_2) - F(x_1) \cdots + F(x_{n-1}) - F(x_{n-2})  + F(b) - F(x_{n-1})
$$
That is a telescopic sum, which results into $F(b) - F(0)$, and if we define $F(0)= 0$, the measure of that cover (I mean the measure of the union of the elements of that cover) is $F(b)$.

-- 12.12.2023, 17:47 --

I guess, I can do a little better:

Take a very small $\delta$, and for the same partition we have the following cover:
$$
\lbrace
(a- \delta, a],
(a, x_1],
\cdots,
(x_{n-1}, b]
$$
And taking the measure would result into telescopic sum, leaving us with
$$
F(b) - F( a - \delta)
$$
As $\delta$ can be made as small as we please, we have the infimum $F(b) - F(a)$ and it well corresponds with the notion of length of an interval.

Модераторы: Модераторы Математики, Супермодераторы