2014 dxdy logo

Научный форум dxdy

Математика, Физика, Computer Science, Machine Learning, LaTeX, Механика и Техника, Химия,
Биология и Медицина, Экономика и Финансовая Математика, Гуманитарные науки

looking for beta-testers in order to review math book
Сообщение18.05.2011, 16:49 

18/05/11
Hello everybody ,

I am writing a book divided in 5 volumes that covers many aspects of Functional Analysis.

The book provided the detailed solution of a collection of exercises compiled by a Russian mathematician

The first volume deals with elements of set theory and topology, completions and category theory .

I am looking for students or teachers who would be interested to review some parts of the book ( the volumes are divided in several parts and chapters and so it is easy to assign to everyone an individual reviewing )

Of course , I cannot review the book myself so I need external people to help me and give me their own feedback . There are already 2 person reviewing the volumes and ideally we would like 2 or 3 other volunteers to join the project .

The publisher is a big US Math and science publisher

What I can offer is the following :

- free copies of the books when published
- mention you in the books as contributor
- eventually a % on my % of the author's royalties if your work was found to be a big review work (but that will not make a lot of money anyway).

We are using a software development methodology with an online collaborative reporting environement . I think it can be also an interesting experience . I am 'developing' the book and I am processing the 'bugs' found by the reviewers .

The current version of volume I is Alpha. The alpha review focus on math logic , math errors and to make sure that all cases are being processed .

The Beta review will focus on english language , spellchecking, syntax , latex formatting , redability , etc ..

For the 1st volume , the deadline to deliver is in 2-3 week and we are looking urgently for a volunteer that could review the chapter on category theory .

I am French (and living in Russia) but the book is written in English .

With regards

Martin

i  zhoraster:
I deleted the machine translation into Russian: a candidate reviewer will have to understand English anyway.

Re: looking for beta-testers in order to review math book
Сообщение20.05.2011, 08:07 

10/02/11
who is the publisher?

Сообщение20.05.2011, 13:13 

18/05/11
Springer Verlag , you can pm me for more details

Сообщение25.05.2011, 12:19 

18/05/11
Nobody interested ?

I can't reveal the full details of the book publically because I am bound by a Non discolsure agreement with the publisher .

Basically the book consist in the publication of the solution of around 800 challenging ( and sometimes very challenging ) problems in Functional Analysis streamed in 5 volumes ( approx total of 2,000 pages ) . These problems have been compiled in the 80's by soviet mathematicians .

I think there are not so many projects like this one on the internet , it requires lots of efforts from my side and while I do the best to avoid any errors , it is vital that this book be reviewed . I think it is really an interesting project .

With regards ,

Сообщение31.05.2011, 13:40 

18/05/11
you can conbtact me by mail karlzorn A T yahoo.fr

Модераторы: Модераторы Математики, Супермодераторы