2014 dxdy logo

Научный форум dxdy

Математика, Физика, Computer Science, Machine Learning, LaTeX, Механика и Техника, Химия,
Биология и Медицина, Экономика и Финансовая Математика, Гуманитарные науки

Solomon Feferman
Сообщение30.07.2016, 19:05 

08/03/11
Цитата:
Dear friends,

I'm writing with sad news. Sol died at home yesterday, July 26th 2016. In the last few days, Sol was at peace and did not suffer, though his health had declined terribly in such short time. He had all the love and care we could provide. While caring for him in his last months, we were trying to prepare ourselves for this inevitable day - then, it came weeks sooner than expected, taking us by surprise. I now believe he "let go" when he finally knew he would not have the hoped recovery - until then he fought for life, endured his limitations, and continued to interact with family, friends and caregivers.

Yesterday was one day shy of Anita's 89th birthday, (7/27/1927) even if that is sheer coincidence I find it a comforting one. Most of their life was together, so, I like to imagine those two at their glorious best, celebrating their life, love and accomplishments together.

It has meant so much to me and Sol to hear from each of you over the last several months. The friends and colleagues, relationships developed over decades and often over great distances, is something that Sol and Anita created, valued and appreciated so much. It's truly a hallmark of their mutual life of intellect, spirit and curiosity, and means just as much to me- I will try to continue as they did.
As you may wonder, I have not arranged any memorial services yet, when I do will send out an additional message.

I like this quote right now, for hopefulness and in recognition of lives of accomplishment, leaving us so much to ponder...

"Ars longa, vita brevis".

With Love, Julie

Re: Solomon Feferman
Сообщение03.08.2016, 23:07 
Заслуженный участник

11/12/05
Sorry to hear that.
My condolences to his family.
May he rest in peace.

Модератор: Модераторы